Council President’s Message:
While we are taking steps forward and beginning to hold in-person worships again, we must make responsible decisions. Some of these decisions are thoughtfully made by your Church Council and leaders. Other decisions must be brought forward to the congregation. We had a mix of important discussions at our recent Council meeting on May 10th.
- Services: We gathered in person for the first time in months on June 7th for service and a celebration of Confirmation for Jordan Keller. Masks were worn; social distancing was observed, and with a few tweaks, we will continue to offer in-person services in future weeks. We will also continue to offer video recordings for those who are not able to join us in person. I want to thank everyone who has worked so hard to plan, sanitize, record, lead, etc., and I ask that you do the same. Reach out to someone and thank them for a job well done.
- Stonework: Council approved the recommendation of the Property Committee to work with Dave Dietrich for the stonework repairs. We will need to raise close to $100,000 to get the cap work over the front entrance repaired this year and the remaining tower stonework repaired next year. What we cannot raise in fundraising will have to be secured via a loan. This is a big but necessary undertaking for our congregation. It will require financial dedication from ALL members. Any loans will also require a vote from the congregation. Before we get to that point, I would like to remind you that at any time, you can reach out to me and offer your concerns or opinions to be passed on to Council, the Vicar, or others. Mt. Zion is both a building and a congregation. We must take care of both. We can do this—but only if we work together with God’s grace. Please begin to think about how you can help. More information will come as we move forward.
- Summerfest: With a heavy heart, the Council decided to cancel Summerfest for this year.
- Policies: Council reviewed and approved the new Facilities Use Agreement and approved updates to the Child/Youth Protection Guidelines.
- Council Positions: We will have several openings on Church Council this fall. If you are interested in joining Council, please let one of us know. Elections take place during the congregational meeting in the fall.
Good things continue to happen at Mt. Zion!